Benefits of Acupuncture
Acupuncture is an ancient, respected treatment for pain relief. At Back in Balance Wellness Center in Bangor, ME and Ellsworth, ME, it’s one of the tools in our integrated care package, along with chiropractic, massage, nutritional advice, and physical therapy.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is the application of thin needles to specific points on your body. It’s designed to bring pain relief to different areas. The needles stimulate these points, called acupuncture points or meridians. This helps restore the body’s natural flow of energy.
How do we know which meridians to stimulate? As it turns out, these different acupuncture points are affiliated with different health conditions. Treatment brings the body back into balance and relieves problems such as migraines, back pain, and stress.
Before we start any treatment, we take a complete health history and talk with you at length about your health issues. Then we customize your plan to target just the right combination of acupressure points. An acupuncture session typically lasts 60 to 90 minutes. Insertion of the needles is not painful. At most you’ll feel some pressure as they go in.
What does acupuncture treat?
The National Institute of Health (NIH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) recognize 62 conditions that are addressed by acupuncture. These include osteoarthritis, addiction, dental pain, depression, and smoking cessation. Others are indigestion, fatigue, headaches, and stress. In other words, most of the common problems that plague people day by day.
What else does the Back in Balance acupuncture team do?
The are several supplementary methods or modalities that we may recommend in conjunction with acupuncture.
- Moxibustion is the application of heat to a meridian. We burn mugwort, an herb that stimulates stagnant body areas.
- Cupping is the placement of different cups, make of materials such as glass, bamboo, metal and ceramics, to create suction on the skin.
- Electro-acupuncture attaches a device to the needles that stimulates evenly and continuously along the acupuncture points.
- Acupressure uses fingers, hands, elbows and mechanical devices to stimulate the acupuncture points.
- Auricular therapy stimulates meridians in the ear, taking advantage of the abundant blood supply and nerves that reside there.
- Gua Sha uses a special tool and a lubricant to rub the skin and relieve muscle tension and tightness.
- Tui Na is a massage therapy that relieves tension and inflammation through soft tissue manipulation.
Is acupuncture treatment right for you?
At Back in Balance Wellness Center in Bangor and Ellsworth, ME, we’ll take the time to talk to you and help you decide about acupuncture. We’ll also discuss other treatment options including chiropractic, massage, and physical therapy. Contact us and put yourself on the road to a healthier and happier body.